Models exhibiting self-confidence do better as do confident photographers.
A confident model is more likely to follow through on a scheduled shoot and approach new poses with an open mind than one who is doubting herself. A self-assured photographer will present himself with more appeal and close bookings at a higher rate.
A photographer’s confidence comes from experience and how much effort he has put in over the years. A model’s confidence, since she typically only has a few years or less of experience, is often based on her personality.
Some signs of a confident model.
Remember, the more confident, the more likely that you will get the results that you arrange.
- Speaks about her age as an asset (e.g. Now that I’m 20 I feel I know a lot more)
- Speaks about her height and other characteristics positively (e.g. I’m 5’6″, taller than most gals)
- Begins communication with excitement about a project
- Sends her photos and stats without having to be asked
- Answers questions directly
- Is independant (has own car, dwelling, etc.)
Signs of a self-doubting model.
Sometimes models who seem almost identical in their stats and experiences may have a totally different take on themselves.
- Speaks about her age as a weakness (e.g. I’m only 20, I really don’t know much)
- Speaks about her height and other characteristics negatively (e.g. I’m only 5’6″, so I’m rarely chosen)
- Begins communication with doubts about a project
- Holds back photos and stats until specifically asked
- Conversation includes friends and family (coordinating with their schedules and opinions before making decisions)
Nude modeling itself gives people a sense of self-confidence. It doesn’t matter if it is for photography or posing nude for a college art class.